Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Letter to My Mentor - Week Two






Dear R,

I find myself stumbled on words. There are so many unspoken truths from each other that I have almost lost sight of what was important. I'm taking this opportunity now to explain to you how you saved me. Yes, you saved me! I know this is a powerful term, but there is no other way to express myself.

When we met, I was a young, naïve girl spiraling on a downward path. I thought I had the answer to everything. I thought I needed nobody. I was a 25 year old girl on the verge of destroying my relationships with every person who loved me most. When we met, I was just coming out of a severely toxic, mentally, verbally and physically abusive relationship. The only thing I knew how to do was become numb to what I had barely survived. I threw myself into a social life of drinking and bartending. And even drinking while bartending.When we met, you became my friend. First and foremost, my well being was always your concern.  I cannot thank you enough for that. You saw in me what I could not see in myself back then. You saw beauty within. You helped me to realize, after years of verbal abuse, that the words spoken to me in my past were never ok. You held my hand and helped to pull me from my own tornado's path. I can say with honesty, I do not know where I would be without you today. You've taught me what it is to be a person. You have taught me the meaning of respect.

With all of this between us, you have also taught me the value of family. You started this by bringing me home to meet your Mother and Father. Filippo ended up being my lifesaver from your Mother, God rest his soul. He, like you, was always on my side. You showed me what Sunday dinner was in your Italian home. You showed me what it was to sit, to eat and to discuss each others day as a family. Today we share two beautiful daughters who I instill those values in. I truly believe we were destined to meet each other for those little girls to exist. I know you will teach them everything you taught me and more. For that, and for everything you have done for me in this life, I thank you.


Love always,
K




Week Two - Poem

"An Ode to R"

The sound of laughter fills a room
with your voice high above the rest.

Your sarcastic and joking humor
keeps our smiles at their best.

Compassion for your loved ones
is the strongest I've ever seen.

Your humility for silly little things
leaves happiness in between.

I feel lost in such amazement
watching your child like repertoire.

Our girls would giggle for hours on end
if I let it get that far.

You have a childish innocence about you.
You're a simple man with dreams.

Family and friends are life to you,
material items have no means.

I think back to the time we met;
and all you've taught me since.

Love, Respect, Stability, Family,
though it took awhile to have me convinced.

You accepted me as your family,
for this I'll never forget.

You gave me two beautiful girls.
I am forever in your debt.

Your generosity in this life;
is the moon lighting up the sea;
Helping to see for miles;
and what you saw was me.













1 comment:

  1. Kerri,

    Wow, this is such a beautiful letter and poem. I'm sure it was a beautiful thing to write this out, as it was a beautiful thing to read. Very touching. Incredibly sincere.

    There is a lot of gratitude in this letter and poem. Pure gratitude.

    It's amazing to read about other people's turning points like this. It seems like this was a big change for you - at the right time. And now you have two daughters as a confirmation that you made the all the right decisions when they came up.

    You hit that point and you were ready for the next phase.

    Your letter is very well written - almost professional in its quality. I felt like I was reading a book or a movie script for a second. And your ode is very crafty and creative. I wasn't sure what you were going to rhyme repertoire with, but you nailed it!

    This is awesome work. Truly touching. I look forward to reading the next post, and the next...

    One suggestion for improvement: add some more images and pictures. Google images to find things that fit your theme/color scheme. The pics in here are amazing. I would add at least one more.


    GR: 96

    ReplyDelete