Having two small children takes its toll. It is fulfilling, rewarding, challenging exciting and endearing. Now, add a 40 plus hour work week, college courses and life's unstoppable every day stresses, and you come out with complete organized chaos. When I use the term "organized chaos" I'm not kidding! It is a perpetual organized nonstop movement from Monday through Friday of baths, homework, meetings, feedings, dance class, reading, phone calls and appointments. See! I bet you need two Advil just from reading this.
![]() |
| Sadi Grey |
With all of my movement during this week, the absolute best part is coming home to see the girls run into my arms. Cliché', yes! But so needed. You see, there is a routine in my house. Sadi cannot say much, although she is very independent for a one year old. She will run up to me, tease me with a quirky grin, go in for a kiss, fake me out and not actually kiss me and run away to move on to her next focus.
![]() |
| Stella Grace |
Mommy: "So Stella. Tell me, how was your day?"
Stella: "So, I woke up. I went to work in Boston. I beat up my boss. I learned my letters. I played outside. I came home and now I'm talking to you!"
(See above. She pretends she works in Boston and I am the toddler. She also tells me she beats up her boss because she learned it from a game of "Beat Your Boss" on her IPad. The multitude of issues in this sentence I can't even break down for you. IPad at 2 years old. Games of Beat Your Boss. What is the world coming to?!)
Mommy:" "Sounds like a busy day Stel."
Stella: "Oh and Mom, I know what sexy means."
Mommy: "I'm sorry, what (Insert shock here). Sexy?!"
Hushed giggles come from her mouth as she runs away. I follow behind quickly. Pffff, as if she's getting out of this one!
Mommy: "Ok Stel. Tell me. What does sexy mean?"
Stella: "Sexy means, Ohhh Heyyyy Babbeeee!"
Need I remind you this is coming from a 2 year old. I couldn't help but laugh. I guess kids really do pick up on everything they hear. I am excited and yet a little concerned to see what next week's conversations bring us. I guess this is what I signed up for when having kids. I'll probably have a lifetime of shock moments from some of words blurted from her tiny mouth.
Cest La vie
Poem - Week Six
Mindfulness
When I stop I notice
the uncontrollable giggles
of a girl but two.
I notice her excitement.
Her eyes smile blue.
Breathless footsteps approach
of an angel but one.
Her age of pure innocence.
Simply laughter and fun.
When I stop I notice
a power from above.
His presence takes hold of me.
I reflect on love.
I notice the air
is easier to breathe
when releasing all stress
from your every day defeats.
The world around me
is a nonstop charade.
Opinions, emotions.
Games to be played.
The movement subsides
in the chaos of life
when stopping to realize
you can't live life twice.
.png)


.jpg)
Kerri,
ReplyDeleteGreat free write! What makes this free write so great is that, as the reader, I can see you processing through things as you go on with each sentence.
You start with some honest stress (your initial thoughts), and then you end with hilariously silly stories about your awesome children (which bring the ultimate relief).
That's great. See how writing can work so quickly!
That's right, we live in an iPad world of boss hate and sexiness. Now, we just have to adjust the parenting, right? There's no more shielding with technology so prevalent!
I'm sure with a great mom, those girls can't lose. Keep teaching them, and they'll surely get it.
Your poem this week is another best seller. I really like the last line - such a great closer - the moral of the story.
Great work, once again!
GR: 100