Monday, December 1, 2014

Gratitude...at Work! - Week Thirteen

Gratitude at the Work Place.
 
Work is a responsibility for most of us. It is a “must maintain” notion in the paycheck to paycheck lives that today’s economy has forced us to lead. The word responsibility does not thrust excitement into our brains. We hear responsibility and instantly visions of duties, chores and appointments pop into our minds, when sometimes all we want to do is nothing. In the work force of my life, i.e. my current work reality, finding the greater good is a big part of getting through the days. That greater good  that I’m speaking of means the best part of work that I am grateful for. A steady income, learning new things and my gateway to adult conversation.
 
Most people do not have a steady weekly/biweekly income. A guaranteed paycheck each week. That is something I am profoundly grateful for. Having this steady income enables me to live independently. Knowing that check is coming each week is a security to my family’s livelihood. Yes, it is my responsibility to ensure that paycheck comes each week. That entails showing up, doing the job I am paid to do and leaving. I am grateful that I am able to walk into the doors of work each day, when so many are out of a job.

Gratitude in work is commonly unspoken of. We wake up and we grunt and moan, another day, another dollar! But every so often a spark hits me while I am in work and I realize I’ve learned something completely new. Another piece of knowledge to add to my growing collection, whether it be a medical term, a legal term or something about myself that is pointed out to me. Knowledge is power and I try to take in as much as I can, when I can.
 
Lastly, my workplace grants me the time for adult conversation. Time away from the ABC’s and 123’s of being a Mommy and able to speak freely with adults about….well….adult things! That is my balance and without it, I’d fall. I am grateful to be able to have that kind of balance as opposed to the everyday mommy/baby talks of life.

 
 









Poem of the Week
Hip Hop Resume’
 
Right here you have
One of a kind
It won’t take you long
To understand my rhyme.
 
A proactive approach
I will fiercely take
To hire me right now
Would not be a mistake.
 
Always on point
And I show up on time
The words I can write
Will blow your mind.
 
Creatively smart
And assertive too
All of these qualities

I hold strong and true.







 

1 comment:

  1. Kerri,

    Another great post. I can't say anymore without sounding redundant. Have you gotten sick of me praising your talents for the last 13 weeks?

    Another great post. The writing - I can't complement anymore.

    This post seems very simple, even a bit short. I love the intro paragraph - it's a great hook. And you come to some simple, yet powerful realizations about your current employment situation. Thank god for adult conversation at work!

    Stepping stones.

    I really like your design this week. The text filled images pop in their 3D/black and white motif. It looks great.

    And your rhymes are strong! I wish you could extend this into a longer verse, maybe twice as long. It starts off so strong, the reader wants more. The crowd wants more.


    GR: 95

    ReplyDelete